Makes 6 servings.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Drain onions well; pat dry.
3. Spray shallow oven-proof dish (3- to 4-cup size) with nonstick cooking spray. Place onion in dish. Press with spatula to flatten and crush onions.
4. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the tomatoes, the garlic, 2 tablespoons of the basil and black pepper, as desired. Drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon of the oil.
5. Cut goat cheese into 6 to 8 rounds. Arrange over onion mixture. Sprinkle with remaining tomatoes; drizzle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with herb seasoning, if desired.
6. Bake uncovered 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese is soft and mixture is bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Serve warm with crackers, flatbread or pita chips, as desired.
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Holland-Style Onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
4 tablespoons sliced fresh basil, divided
- Coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil from sun-dried tomatoes or olive oil, divided
- 1 log (8 ounces) goat cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Mediterranean herb seasoning, optional
- Crackers, flatbread or pita chips
Per serving (1/6 of recipe): 180 calories; 8 g protein; 4 g carbohydrate; 14 g total fat; 270 mg sodium; 30 mg cholesterol; contains less than 1 g dietary fiber; 1 mg iron; 0.03 mg thiamin; 769 IU vitamin A; 3 mg vitamin C.