- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Baby Whole Pickled Beets
- 1/2 pound raw chorizo or breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, optional
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, chopped (about 1/2-inch pieces)
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6 large pasteurized eggs
- Fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, optional
- Chopped parsley, optional
Makes 6 servings.
- Drain beets well. Pat dry. Cut larger beets in half.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add chorizo; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently and breaking into crumbles. Add onion, salt, pepper, and cumin and chili powder, if desired. Continue cooking 3 to 5 minutes or until sausage is cooked through and onion is tender, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet; reserve 1 tablespoon drippings from chorizo and return to skillet. Set chorizo aside.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in microwave-safe bowl; add 2 tablespoons water. Cover with plastic wrap; microwave on HIGH 2 to 3 minutes or until almost tender.
- Drain potatoes; add to skillet with thyme. Cook about 5 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through, stirring occasionally, adding 1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil to skillet if necessary.
- Return chorizo mixture to skillet with potatoes. Press with spatula into even layer; cook 3 to 4 minutes to brown. Stir, press into layer and cook 3 to 4 more minutes to brown. Add beets to skillet.
- With back of spoon, make six indentations in potato-beet mixture. Crack eggs into small custard cup or bowl and pour into each indentation. Cover skillet; cook until eggs are desired doneness.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, as desired. Garnish with thyme and/or parsley, if desired.
Per serving (1/6 of recipe): 340 calories; 17 g protein; 21 g carbohydrate; 19 g total fat; 820 mg sodium; 220 mg cholesterol; 2 g dietary fiber; 2 mg iron; 0.32 mg thiamin; 285 IU vitamin A; 4 mg vitamin C.